Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thumb Sucking Fools!

Ok, so the title has absolutely NOTHING to do with this post. It's just that the smallest thumbsucker is snuggled up next to me this morning and she won't even let me pull it from her mouth. I'm not sure if the suction is that strong or if she uses her teeth to dig in and hold. Ok, now the title has something (albeit small) to do with this post. Love how that works? :) I should take a picture. Every now and then she'll lean over onto me or just put her tiny little hand on my arm. And then I'll lean over and sniff her head, then her arm then I end up tickling her. I'm sure she's annoyed. But she leaned first!!

So, today is Veteran's Day. We are all so thankful for those men and women who have given up so much just to serve our country. It seems so empty to say it but it's true. Someone just last week said something like... we think we're at war, but we really aren't. The soldiers are at war. We just sit in our Lazy Boys and watch the news living our normal day to day lives while they are sitting there with guns and having to watch every move they make. No, we are not at war. And it's only because our military will GO instead of having to fight on our own soil. Can you imagine what would happen around here if the action was on our own shoreline? If we had to worry about incoming bombs while driving downtown? There'sno way we would function with the mindset we have today. All this entitlement stuff. Maybe we wouldn't worry so much about our government healthcare if we had armies marching through our cities. Anywho... enough of that. I am still thankful I don't have to go to war and I can sit in my chair and watch the news because of young people who are willing to leave what they have and who they know to keep me safe.

Maggie's 2nd grade class put on a performance for the veterans around here yesterday. These videos are snippets from the show. Very cute and very good job! Thanks guys. Maggie is in solid red on the front row. (you can also hear Ruth and Lydia singing along in the background) My Mom and Dad got to come up during the day and watch the one during school. Then they got to stay for lunch with the girls. Mom just raved and raved about what a good time they had and how good the food was and what fun it was to walk down the halls with all the students lining the hallways waving flags for all the veterans. What a sight! When Ruth and Lydia get to 2nd grade I'm going to have to invite my brothers too. They started listing everyone who had served in the military because I'm supposed to send in their names and pictures for the slide show. Well, I failed this year. I usually just send in the grandfathers... but they have figured out there are many more family members who qualify to be in that slide show! 2011 boys, 2011! Mark the calendar now. Show's at 10am with lunch (FREE) following.

Oh, a little news here that I haven't shared yet. A few weeks ago during church I leaned over to see what Lydia was scribbling on her paper and realized it was actually her name. She had finally started making real letters and the ones that matter! I was so shocked that I asked her at that moment if it was her name, then I leaned over and told Curtis. I'm sure the families behind us thought I was crazy for being so loud... She's making progress!! Maybe by August she'll be able to write more letters. She's such the baby!

On the work front, I have been doing charge nursing for 2 years in the NICU and the politics of it all finally got the best of me. I put in my resignation for the charge position in August. Well, due to some HR red tape and the abundance of staff nurses and the lack of a willing soul to step up... here we are in November and I'm still doing charge. It looks like I'll be "stuck" in this role for some time so I'm trying to take it in stride and just continue to do what I'm supposed to do. I hope to be able to go back to the bedside soon. I'm miss my little babies and their families. On a good note... we have a new neonatologist on staff. Now we have 3 "normal" docs to work with. They are actually friendly and nice to work alongside. Yeah!

So, enjoy the videos... I'll do fall photos one day.

1 comment:

Rose Family Editor said...

Now this is the part of public school I really miss! Thanks for sharing -- we loved the videos and the songs.

The Rose kiddos

Search This Blog